Ch. 15 Study Guide
The Indian Ocean
1. Who settled in Madagascar?
2. Why did the Ming explore around the Indian Ocean? (there are three reasons)
3. Why was Zheng He good for the task of exploration?
4. Why did peoples along the Chinese exploration routes accept the Chinese?
5. Why did the Chinese stop?
a. Motives (God, Glory, and Gold)
6. Why were the Iberians able to explore? (there are two reasons)
7. What are the "four trends" that sparked European exploration?
8. What do I mean by the motives being about God? about Glory? and about Gold?
9. Why did the Portuguese want to move south along the African Coast?
10. What were Henry’s motivations?
11. What navigational equipment did Henry teach explorers to use?
12. Why were carvals good for exploration?
13. What new knowledge about ocean winds allow for quicker exploration?
14. What was the Order of Christ? How did Henry use it?
15. What is the significance of the red cross on the sails?
16. How was Spanish exploration different from Portuguese?
17. Why did Columbus sail?
18. What was the Treaty of Tordesillas?
19. How did the Portuguese get Brazil?
20. What does exploration do to Europe’s importance?
Encounters: Summarize (in your own words but with detail) how these areas interacted with the Portuguese:
A. Coastal Africa
D. Coastal India
1. What did domination of these areas do for the Portuguese?
2. What did this domination do to Italian trade?
3. What made the Amerindian reaction so different from Africa/Asia?
Summarize the conquest of the
C. Why were the Spanish able to create empires so quickly? (there are three)
Be able to locate the following areas: (print a regional map and label using letters)
B. Lesser Antilles
C. Greater Antilles
E. Cape Verde
F. Sierra Leon
G. Gold Coast
L. Venice and Genoa