Ch. 3 Middle Eastern Civilization Study Guide
(1)What were the advantages of iron?
(2) What is meant by "cosmopolitan"?
(3) Into what two distinct political zones was Mesopotamia split?
(4) What new technology was used by the Hittites?
(5) Who took over Egypt in 1640 BCE?
(6) What military technologies did the Hyksos possess that gave them an advantage over the Egyptians?
(7) Who expelled the Hyksos?
(8) What changes were made to the territory of Egypt during the New Kingdom?
(9) What changes did Akhenaten make?
(10) How did most Egyptians feel about Akhenaten’s changes?
(11) Why is King Tut famous?
(12) What new dynasty was established in 1323 BCE?
(13) What was the issue faced by Ramseses II when he married a Hittite princess?
(14) What helped increase long distant trade
(15) To what did horses contribute?
(16) What became the premier instrumen of war?
(17) Who traded with the Minoans?
(18) What are noteworthy at palace sites?
(19) What happened to the palaces around 1450 BCE?
(20) How was the first Greek culture formed?
(21) What was Schliemann’s goal?
(22) What did the Mycenaeans borrow from the Minoans?
(23) Why is the first advanced Greek civilization called Mycenaean?
(24) For what was Linear B used?
(25) What is the contradictory evidence about politics in early Greece?
(26) Why was long distant trade possible?
(27) What were some of the exports of early Greece?
(28) What was imported and why?
(29) What evidence is there for piracy during this time period?
(30) Who were the "Sea Peoples" and what did they do?
(31) How does the end of the Mycenaean civilization illustrate the consequences of economic and political collapse?
(32) What aspects of Mycenaean culture stayed? What disappeared?
(33) Why was the "Dark Ages"?
(34) What line did campaigns follow?
(35) What was the image of the King of Assyria?
(36) What roles did the King fulfill in the Assyrian empire?
(37) What was the chief responsibility of the King?
(38) What was proof of the king’s superiority over the gods?
(39) How did the gov’t gain public support?
(40) Why were the Assyrians so successful in conquest?
(41) What technologies gave the Assyrians advantages?
(42) What did the Assyrians use to discourage rebellions?
(43) What were the effects of deportation?
(44) What did provincial officials do?
(45) How was the elite class bound to the monarch?
(46) How did the Assyrians spend their money?
(47) What are the three classes the existed?
(48) Did the Assyrians distinguish between natives and immigrants?
(49) What was the job of the vast majority of the population?
(50) What was the medium of exchange?
(51) How is Israel a crossroads?
(52) When was Israel’s history written down?
(53) What was the language of the Bible?
(54) What was the story of Abraham?
(55) Who led after Abraham? And after that guy?
(56) How did Joseph become a leader in Pharaoh’s court? What did he do as a result?
(57) What are the points the text give about the Hebrew Bible?
(58) What happened to the Hebrews in the desert?
(59) What did Joshua do?
(60) How were the Hebrews organized?
(61) How was the first king of Israel?
(62) What did David do?
(63) What did Solomon do?
(64) Why did Temple priests become powerful?
(65) What was family life among the Israelites?
(66) What gender was most important and why?
(67) What role did women play?
(68) Into what parts did Israel split?
(69) Who was Nebuchadnezzar?
(70) What was the purpose of the synagogue?
(71) What is the Deuteronomic Code?
(72) How were the Jews isolated from others?
(73) What gave them their sense of community?
(74) What writing system was created by the Phoenicians?
(75) Who monopolized Med trade in the 800s BCE?
(76) Why was Tyre so important? What was its weakness?
(77) What was the "Phoenician triangle"
(78) Where did the Phoenician trade network span?
(79) What was the rival state for the Phoenicians?
(80) Why is there so much known about Carthage?
(81) What was the foundation date of Carthage?
(82) How many warships could the inner harbor accommodate?
(83) How was the city organized?
(84) What was the population of Carthage around 500 BCE?
(85) What was the gov’t structure of Carthage?
(86) What military branch was most important to Carthage?
(87) What was the focus of Carthaginian foreign policy?
(88) What did treaties between Carthage and other states include?
(89) What goods were traded?
(90) How did Carthage get to sub-Saharan Africa?
(91) Why didn’t citizens have to serve in the army?
(92) What made up the Carthaginian armies when they went to war with Greece and Rome?
(93) What was the Carthaginian religion like?
(94) what is a tophet?
(95) Who’s spread into the Middle east affected all those civilizations?
(96) Who resisted the Assyrians?
(97) How was Assyria defeated?
(98) Who were the kings of the Neo-Babylonian kingdom?
(99) What was the Carthage Commercial Empire?
(100) Who suffered from failure and transformation?